Linux Quick Start
3 minute read
You can install the Edge Delta Free Edition agent on a local Kubernetes cluster hosted on your Linux system. This process involves setting up a new Kubernetes cluster, creating an Edge Delta account, and installing the Edge Delta agent in your new cluster. After installing the agent, you can Set Up Alerts.
Create a Kubernetes Cluster
In this example, you install Docker, Helm and kind. Then you create a local Kubernetes cluster.
- Set up the Docker repository:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install \ ca-certificates \ curl \ gnupg \ lsb-release
sudo mkdir -p /etc/apt/keyrings
curl -fsSL https://download.docker.com/linux/ubuntu/gpg | sudo gpg --dearmor -o /etc/apt/keyrings/docker.gpg
echo \ "deb [arch=$(dpkg --print-architecture) signed-by=/etc/apt/keyrings/docker.gpg] https://download.docker.com/linux/ubuntu \ $(lsb_release -cs) stable" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/docker.list > /dev/null
- Install the Docker Engine:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install docker-ce docker-ce-cli containerd.io docker-compose-plugin
See more detailed instructions at the Docker site.
- Choose the appropriate release binary for your system architecture in the Helm github repo.
- Download the binary:
curl -O https://get.helm.sh/helm-v3.10.1-linux-amd64.tar.gz
- Unpack the binary file you downloaded:
tar -zxvf helm-v3.10.1-linux-amd64.tar.gz
- Locate the helm file and move it to /usr/local/bin/helm
sudo mv linux-amd64/helm /usr/local/bin/helm
Install Kind and Create a Cluster
- Install kind:
curl -Lo ./kind https://kind.sigs.k8s.io/dl/v0.17.0/kind-linux-amd64 chmod +x ./kind sudo mv ./kind /usr/local/bin/kind
See more detailed instructions on the kind docs site.
You might need to find the appropriate release to suit your system architecture. See the list of kind releases on the kind releases github page.
- Create a Kubernetes cluster:
sudo kind create cluster
Create an Edge Delta Account
Next, create an Edge Delta user account.
- Click Login on the edgedelta.com website.
- Click Sign up.
- Enter your details in the Account Details page and click Register. Alternatively, click Sign up with Google.
- Check your email and Activate your account.
- If a user with the same domain name as your email address has created an organization you can click it to request to join it and wait for their approval. Otherwise, click Create an Organization.
- Enter an Organization name and click Next.
Install the Edge Delta Agent
Install the Edge Delta agent daemonset in your Kubernetes cluster. This is done by first creating an agent configuration in the Edge Delta web app and then deploying the agent using the customized Helm commands that the web app provides.
After signing up in the web app, the initial set up page opens for deploying an Edge Delta Free Edition agent.
You can also create a new agent configuration manually. Click Admin - Clusters and click Add New Cluster.
- Enter a name for the agent tag - usually the same as the name of your cluster and click Continue.
The first command downloads the Edge Delta Helm chart.
The second command updates all the charts in the local Helm repo.
The third command installs the correct version of the agent. It passes in the secret key to connect your agent to the Edge Delta web app, and it creates the edgedelta namespace for the daemonset. The following helm command option shows an example key 123456789 but yours will be specific to your agent.
- Click I Ran Deploy Commands. The web app checks for an agent hearbeat to confirm that the agent was successfully installed in your cluster and is able to send metrics to the web app.
- Click Go to Status Page.
After installing the agent, you can Set Up Alerts.